- Totes les col·leccions (2,132), La teva biblioteca (1,189), Short Stories (601), Story Anthologies (62), Novellas (27), Llegint actualment (3), Authors- Read All (61), Poetry -Post 1900 (95), Pre-1900 Poetry (33), Drama & Classics (68), Like to Read (7), To Read in My Dotage (91), 100 Greatest Fiction (Working list) (94), 100 Favorite Novels (98), Top 30 Short Fiction (19), Desert Island 12 Drama & Epics (11), Desert Island 10 Novels (10), Desert Island 25 Novels (25), Desert Island 50 Novels (49), Biographies (22), Essays-Diaries-Letters (39), Philosophy (12)
- Unread (1,235), Read (750), Unread Contemporary (626), America (593), Unread 1945-1980 (299), England (227), 1945-1980 Read (196), Nobel (189), Unread 19th Cent (167), France (161), 19th Cent Read (154), Unread 1900-1945 (138), Contemporary Read (136), 1900-1945 Read (116), Latin America (83), Emigre (80), Germany (68), Russia (59), Ireland (46), Italy (43), Spain (39), Scotland (39), Israel (39), Japan (38), Africa (36), Argentina (30), Canada (29), Austria (27), Switzerland (20), South Africa (19), Brazil (18), Balkans (18), Czech Republic (16), Portugal (16), Chile (13), Middle East (12), Netherlands (12), Hungary (12), Egypt (11), Poland (11), Australia (10), Columbia (9), Unread 18th Cent (9), Serbia (8), Carribean (8), Peru (8), 18th Cent Read (8), Mexico (7), Iceland (7), Norway (7), Denmark (6), Cuba (6), Lebanon (5), Jamaica (5), Belgium (4), Bosnia (3), Uruguay (3), Turkey (3), Slovenia (3), Algieria (2), read (2), Unfinished (2), Trinidad (2), Sweden (2), El Salvador (2), Croatia (2), China (2), American (1), India (1), Paraguay (1), New Zealand (1), 17th Cent Read (1), Afghanistan (1), Contemporary read (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- S'ha unit
- Oct 18, 2008
- Nom real
- Sobre la meva biblioteca
- My reading bio..
I have had great luck trying to be patient with some of the more 'difficult' works, trying to give the authors the benefit of my reader's doubt, 'slogging through'. Most all of the time the payoff has been worth the effort, sometimes amazingly so. The text's language becomes more transparent and lucid as I become familiar with it...in some cases the reading experience became almost transformative, reaching the level of the sublime. Examples of this for me were: Proust's In Search of Lost Time , Virginia Woolf's The Waves , and recent Nobel laureate's Herta Muller's The Land of Green Plums.
My reading life in the last couple of years has shifted to primarily short fiction. IMO this form is especially pertinent in our current age of mass ADHD. Librarything is key for me to be able to track my reading of short story collections. It's a genre that requires is own reading tactics. As most short story masters will tell you, stories should be sipped, not guzzled. In a short story, each sentence is important.You CAN'T gloss. Once you learn this, it changes one's reading style.I rarely read more than 2 stories per book in a day.
I learn how to read each text from the instructions they contain. Its a premise I ALWAYS adhere to. All novels and short stories come with 'How To Read Me' instructions.
About my star ratings....
Even though I pride myself with approaching each work with as with as little cultural bias and reader-prejudices as possible, I finally look at my personal reaction to the book. The second factor is my non-qualfied amateur opinion of how I thought the work came off as a literary work of art (ie. did it fulfill its own promises).
A book has to move the heart as well as the head (not necessarily in equal measure!) to get high ratings from me.
- Sobre mi
- Oldlitmajor who has a hope a few youths of the world take up the examined life , (ie the reading of world literature) in our age of touch screens.
Hoo-rah for the "1001 Books To Read before You Die"... it hopefully will at least get some folks to read the 500 or so titles on the list that are truly must reads (the rest are better watched as Blu ray entertainments imho...)
- Cabin in the woods in Montana (past grandma's house)
- Pàgina d'inici
- Ara mateix l'estic llegint
- Autors preferits
- Isaac Babel, Calderon De La Barca, Donald Barthelme, Samuel Beckett, Saul Bellow, Roberto Bolaño, Jorge Luis Borges, Paul Celan, Anton Chekhov, Joseph Conrad, Charles Dickens, T. S. Eliot, William Faulkner, Nikolai Gogol, Günter Grass, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Bohumil Hrabal, Henrik Ibsen, Henry James, Danilo Kiš, Cormac McCarthy, Herman Melville, W. S. Merwin, Alice Munro, Marcel Proust, Theodore Roethke, Juan José Saer, José Saramago, Bruno Schulz, William Shakespeare, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Sophocles, Theodor Storm, Olga Tokarczuk, Leo Tolstoy, Ivan Turgenev, Eudora Welty, Walt Whitman, Virginia Woolf
Connexions del membre
- Biblioteca interessant
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.