- photography (272), mystery/thriller (114), gardening (59), poetry (56), short story collection (45), contemporary poetry (35), non-fiction (35), history (24), art (21), decorating (20), essays (19), memoir (18), biography (17), Latin America (14), Ireland (13), technical photography (13), literature (13), books about books (13), music (11), graphic novel (10), Paris (9), Russia (8), Man Booker (7), reference (7), manga (7), Iceland (6), finance (6), nature (6), novella (5), Germany (4), movies (4), book collecting (4), dogs (4), 20th Century art (3), humor (3), writing (3), France (2), Chicago (2), journalism (2), health (2), letters (2), Italy (1), autographed (1), early reviews (1), India (1), London (1), street art (1), literary criticism (1), Native Americans (1), non-ficton (1), philosophy (1), business (1), science (1), fountain pens (1), Pat's (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- S'ha unit
- Aug 8, 2011
- Real Name
- About My Library
- I recently joined so I am slowly adding my books. There are still a lot to go. My library mainly contains books of literary fiction, poetry and art and photography, but I love a good mystery or a good essay collection.
I don't rate every book, but I like this feature. Don't take them personally. If you love a book and I give it 2 1/2 stars, it's just a matter of taste. We might agree on something else.
As my ratings are at best personal, and at worst, idiosyncratic, here's a rough guide:
1 star: It's hard for me to rate any book 1 star. It would have to be without merit or personally objectionable.
2 stars: A book I couldn't connect with or actively disliked. I might not even have been able to finish it. I generally bestow this on books that seem overpraised. But that's just my opinion. This rating is usually just to remind me to skip further works by that author.
3 stars: A good book, a book that has a lot going for it, that I was glad I read. It just doesn't quite reach excellence in my mind. It might be a book from a beloved author that didn't live up to previous books, but still shows flashes of what I like about the author.
4 stars: An excellent book, one that I eagerly recommend, discuss, loan, or give as a gift. It's excellence in context, of course: an excellent mystery will earn the same 4 stars as an excellent literary novel, even though I believe the literary novel is probably a more worthy achievement.
5 stars: A tremendous book. A book that seems essential. This is a book that I probably reread regularly. A desert-island book. I feel like a lot of books earn my 4-star rating, but I can only think of a handful that are 5-stars.
- Ara mateix l'estic llegint
- Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence de Lisa CronRose's Baking Basics: 100 Essential Recipes, with More Than 600 Step-by-Step Photos de Rose Levy BeranbaumHeritage Baking: Recipes for Rustic Breads and Pastries Baked with Artisanal Flour from Hewn Bakery de Ellen KingThe Hound of the Baskervilles: 150th Anniversary Edition (Signet Classics) de Sir Arthur Conan DoyleDying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland de Jonathan M. MetzlPlant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, in Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal de Toni OkamotoThe Economists' Hour: False Prophets, Free Markets, and the Fracture of Society de Binyamin AppelbaumAmerican Carnage: On the Front Lines of the Republican Civil War and the Rise of President Trump de Tim AlbertaThe Great Mortality: An Intimate History of the Black Death, the Most Devastating Plague of All Time de John KellyDirt: Adventures in Lyon as a Chef in Training, Father, and Sleuth Looking for the Secret of French Cooking de Bill BufordRichard Hofstadter: Anti-Intellectualism in American Life, The Paranoid Style in American Politics, Uncollected Essays 1956-1965 (LOA #330) (Library of America) de Richard HofstadterThe Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits de Les Standiford
- Interesting Library
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.