- Fiction (1,522), British Literature (551), Ebook (443), Crime Fiction (440), American Literature (323), History (295), Purchase (258), Biography (152), Literary History (99), Travel (98), Short Stories (98), French Literature (93), Memoir (93), Reference (88), Noir (82), Great Britain (72), Poetry (67), Hard Case Crime (66), Canadian Literature (65), German Literature (64), Nautical (62), Mexico (57), Drama (57), Literary Criticism (55), Children's Literature (55), Art History (47), Political Science (45), Australian Literature (40), United States (40), Graphic Literature (39), Science Fiction (38), Economics (36), True Crime (35), Belles Lettres (34), California (34), Russian Literature (33), Philosophy (33), Spy Fiction (29), Architecture (29), Horror (28), Film History (28), Fantasy (28), Topic Study (26), American West (26), Animals (26), Italian Literature (25), World War II (22), American Revolution (22), Irish Literature (22), Nature (21), Languages (20), Ireland (20), Spanish Language Text (20), France (19), Russia (19), Photography (19), City Biography (18), Spanish Literature (18), Sociology (17), Exploration (17), Cultural History (17), Folklore (17), Social History (16), Author Study (16), Mexican Literature (16), Polar Regions (16), Director Study (15), Current Affairs (15), Dutch Literature (15), Japan (15), Africa (14), Business (14), Scottish Literature (14), Humor (14), Essays (14), China (13), Chinese Literature (13), African-American Literature (13), Baseball History (13), Urban Studies (13), Japanese Literature (13), Norwegian Literature (12), No Longer Owned (12), World War I (12), Ancient Greek Literature (12), Religion (12), Natural History (12), Indian Literature (12), Canada (12), Bibliophilia (11), Latin American Literature (11), Artist Study (11), Anthology (11), African Literature (10), Science (10), Diaries (10), Europe (10), Scotland (10), Middle Ages (10), London (10), Witchcraft (9), Latin Literature (9), Jazz (9), Cuba (9), India (9), Time Reading Program (9), Theater (9), Purchase Urgent (9), Art (9), Geography (9), Civil War (9), Argentine Literature (8), New York City (8), Disaster (8), Aviation (8), Film Criticism (8), Rediscoveries (8), Rivers (7), Germany (7), History of Philosophy (7), New Zealand (7), Drugs (7), Journalism (7), Baseball (7), US Presidents (7), New England (7), Estonian Literature (7), Paris (7), Danish Literature (7), American South (7), Swedish Literature (7), Anthropology (7), Caribbean Literature (6), Spain (6), Colonial America (6), Latin America (6), Hungarian Literature (6), Enlightenment (6), Composer Study (6), Cornwall (6), Rome (6), Nevada (6), Ancient Greece (6), 19th Century (6), Italy (6), American Presidents (6), Los Angeles (6), Classical Music (6), South America (6), Westerns (6), Cultural Criticism (6), Law (5), Sports (5), 1920s (5), Mythology (5), Florida (5), Film Basis (5), Czech Literature (5), Poetry Anthology (5), Letters (5), Ghosts (5), Popular Music (5), 18th Century (5), Middle East (5), New Jersey (5), Korea (5), Brazil (5), CIA (5), Polish Literature (5), Automotive (5), Landscapes (4), Blasket Islands (4), Sixties (4), Hawaii (4), Argentina (4), Montana (4), New Zealand Literature (4), Australia (4), Railroads (4), Linguistics (4), Film Guide (4), Double (4), San Francisco (4), Western American Literature (4), African America (4), Peruvian Literature (4), Washington DC (4), Pacific (4), Greek Literature (4), 1930s (4), Southern American Literature (4), Television (4), War (4), French Revolution (4), American Midwest (4), Education (3), Netherlands (3), Holmesiana (3), Adventure Fiction (3), New York (3), Historiography (3), Gardening (3), Library of America (3), Radio (3), Balkans (3), Americana (3), Christianity (3), South African Literature (3), Welsh Literature (3), Business Fiction (3), Holocaust (3), Small Town America (3), Uruguayan Literature (3), Illustration (3), Romanian Literature (3), Renaissance (3), Brazilian Literature (3), Highways (3), Medicine (3), Havana (3), Buenos Aires (3), Botswana (3), Biographical Dictionary (3), Art Criticism (3), Beat Generation (3), Wales (3), History of Science (3), Asia (3), Siberia (3), Jack the Ripper (2), Film Noir (2), Bible (2), Communism (2), Austria (2), Catalan Literature (2), Organizational Behavior (2), American Constitution (2), Spirits (2), Crimean War (2), Gay Fiction (2), Pulp Fiction (2), Ancient History (2), Turkish Literature (2), Psychology (2), Sierra Leone (2), Military (2), Colombian Literature (2), Group Biography (2), Arizona (2), Geology (2), Aesthetics (2), Revolutions of 1848 (2), Baseball Fiction (2), Verse Novel (2), Menswear (2), Pet Sitting (2), Newfoundland (2), Korean War (2), Gay Interest (2), Islam (2), Vermont (2), Disease (2), English (2), Virginia (2), Marxism (2), Pets (2), Chicago (2), New Mexico (2), Fishing (2), Las Vegas (2), Georgia (2), Erotica (2), Mountaineering (2), Arthurian Legend (2), Texas (2), Ornithology (2), Hungary (2), Egyptian Literature (2), Arabic Literature (2), Indonesia (2), Collecting (2), Judaica (2), Maps (2), Sea Fiction (2), Yorkshire (2), Byzantine Empire (2), Edinburgh (2), Modernism (2), 17th Century (2), Bhutan (2), Engineering (2), 16th Century (2), Rock Music (2), 1950s (2), Ukrainian Literature (1), Belgian Literature (1), Opera (1), Labor History (1), Scandinavian Literature (1), Americal Literature (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- 18th Century British Literature, 18th-19th Century Britain, Abraham Lincoln & Lincolniana, Adventure Classics, Aerial Warfare, African/African American Literature, All Books Africa, All the World's a Stage, All Things New England, Altered States, American Civil War, American History, American Revolution & Founding Fathers History, analytic philosophy, Anarchism, Ancient and Medieval Manuscripts, Ancient China, Ancient History, Anglophiles, Antiquarian Books, Archaeology, Art Books, Art History, Art is Life, Arthurian Legends, Asian Fiction & Non-Fiction, Australian LibraryThingers, Baker Street and Beyond, Banned Books, Baseball, BBC Radio 3 Listeners, BBC Radio 4 Listeners, Bestsellers over the Years, Biblical History, Biographies, Memoirs and Autobiographies, Birds, Birding & Books, Bloomsbury Group and their friends, Book Collectors, Books on Books, Bookshelf of the Damned, Booze!, Bostonians, British & Irish Crime Fiction, Brits, Byzantinistik, Canadian Bookworms, Canadian Literature, Cats, books, life is good., Chicagoans, Children's Fiction, Children's Literature, Classical Music, Comics, Crime, Thriller & Mystery, Dada & Surrealism, Dalkey Archive, Deep South, Disaster Buffs, Dystopian novels, Early Science Fiction, Economics, Elizabethan England, English History - Tudor through Edwardian, Everyman's Library, Everything Illustration and Comic Art!, Evolve!, Existentialism, Fairy Tale Readers, Famous voluminous novels, Fans of Russian authors, Folio Society Devotees, Friends of Mary Ann Evans, Gardening, Gay Men, Geeks who love the Classics, Ghost Stories, Past and Present, GLBT History, Golden Age Illustrators, Hardboiled / Noir Crime Fiction, Historical Fiction, History at 30,000 feet: The Big Picture, History: On learning from and writing history, Homer, the Trojan war, and pre-classical Greece, I Love Jane Austen, I Survived the Great Vowel Shift, Indian Authors, International Relations, Irish Librarythingers, It's a LondonThing, Japanese Culture, Japanese Literature, Jewish Bibliophiles, Jewish Fiction, Language, Lawyers, Le Salon Littéraire du Peuple pour le Peuple, Library of America Subscribers, Literary Snobs, Loitering with Intent, Maps and Atlases, Medieval Europe, Middle Eastern Literature, Midwest Writers/Readers, Military History, Missouri Readers, Mythology, Nabokov!, Name that Book, Naval History and Fiction, New York Review Books, New Yorkers City, New Zealand Thingamabrarians, Newbery Challenge, Nobel Laureates in Literature, Non-Fiction Readers, Opera, or Nobody Knows the Traubel I've Seen, Oregonians, Oulipo's Virtual Headquarters, Penguin Classics, Persephone Readers, Philosophy and Theory, Philosophy of Science, Photography, Political Philosophy, Post-apocalyptic Literature, Psychology, Pynchon Pandæmonium, Queer and Trans Lit, Radical History, Rare, Old or Offbeat, Readers Over Sixty, Reading Globally, ReJoyce, Religion Studies, Rock 'n' Roll, Records and Record Collections, Romance Languages, Russian books and language, Science Fiction Fans, Science!, Scottish LibraryThingers, Second World War History, SF & Fantasy, Short Stories, Social science, South Africa, South American Fiction-Argentine Writers, Spies & Spy Fiction, Steampunk, Tattered but still lovely, The Black Orchid (A Nero Wolfe Group), The Brontës, The Chapel of the Abyss, The Globe: Shakespeare, his Contemporaries, and Context, The Middle East, The Prizes, The Teaching Company, The Weird Tradition, Travel and Exploration literature, Trollope lovers unite or fight, Undiscovered Gems, Unique Library Thing Book Group, Urban Fantasy, Used Books, Victoriana, Virago Modern Classics, Washington, DC, Weird Fiction, What the Dickens...?, William Faulkner and his Literary Kin, Working Class, World History, Written in Stone - The Literary Cemetery
- S'ha unit
- Jun 29, 2008
- About My Library
- My listing here includes books I am interested in (although far from all of them!) as well as books that I own. Books currently in my library have the tag "Owned"; all others should (but don't yet) have the tags "Purchase" or "Purchase Urgent," because, in an ideal Apollonian world, I would live in a library with all the books I have ever read or ever want to read. Obviously, that ideal world doesn't exist, but I can construct a virtual version of it here at LibraryThing.
Eventually I will add all the books I have read to my listing, too -- I have records going back to grade school -- but that will take a while.
I'm not a huge fan of rating systems, but they have some use as a kind of shorthand. That said, my ratings here are intended to compare like books to one another, not to assess every book against some mythical standard of absolute quality. Any rating of four or five stars should be considered a strong recommendation. I think that even my three star books are worthwhile reads, although below that it gets iffy. I tend to be a high rater; I am easy to please, but I also pre-select my reading carefully based on reviews, recommendations, literary history, and so on. I want to spend my time reading good books, not indifferent ones if I can help it.
- About Me
- I've always been keenly interested in literature, film, theater, art, music, history, geography, philosophy, and much else besides -- a real "life of the mind" type. Now, at 53, I happily consider myself a "senior scholar," on the model of the title character in Sir Walter Scott's wonderful novel "The Antiquary," and I obsessively organize my intellectual life into scores of projects. As an educator, I have taught almost every subject on the humanities side of the ledger, at the high school and university levels -- literature, history, psychology, sociology, philosophy, economics, political science, art history, film, journalism, and public speaking. I am currently teaching most of those subjects - all except the last three, in fact - in the humanities department of a top-notch, university-based international high school in Mexico. If all goes well, I hope to spend the rest of my career in this beautiful, fascinating country, and to retire here as well. I am a contented gay single guy who always shares my home with companion animals -- I recently adopted two young female cats from the same litter, and named them Frida (Kahlo) and Remedios (Varo) after the great Mexican painters. They are a complete delight. I like baseball and golf as a spectator. Classic menswear -- I almost always wear a suit and tie -- and fine beer round out the list of my key enthusiasms.
- Culiacan, Mexico
- Pàgina d'inici
- Ara mateix l'estic llegint
- The Founders on the Founders: Word Portraits from the American Revolutionary Era de John P. KaminskiThe Canterbury Tales (original-spelling Middle English edition) (Penguin Classics) de Geoffrey ChaucerThe open polar sea; a narrative of a voyage of discovery towards the North Pole, in the Schooner "United States" de I. I. HayesCrazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History de Cait MurphyPrimitive culture : researches into the development of mythology, philosophy, religion, language, art and custom de Sir Edward Burnett Tylor
- Interesting Library
- 50Watts, AdamCapel, agmlll, alaskabookworm, almigwin, angelrose, AnnavanGelderen, antimuzak, aquaticus, Armor, art_savage, arubabookwoman, Barquentine, basil.cronus, bhowell, bjbookman, BNChris, bobcar31, boodgieman, bookgarden, bookjones, cabegley, carminowe, carterchristian1, cerievans1, charlesclark, Charvet, cheziv, citizenkelly, Clio12, coffeymuse, cowpunk, cwc790411, damfino83, Dan_Park, davidabrams, dcgqueen, debweiss, deecee49, devenish, DieFledermaus, Donnybook, ellenandjim, ericandsue, eromsted, featherbear, gaskella, greeneye, GregoryKindall, gwendolyndawson, hairball, hardboiledminer, hobus, Isgodchekhov, jannon, jfclark, joedoone, JoeDrape, johnpkane, JoLynnsbooks, JTWells, jwhenderson, katbook, kinofile, kiwidoc, LastCall, Libahunt, LizzySiddal, magnumpigg, marxones, meburste, michaelg16, mrpabst, narbgr01, nattybum, nickday, obsessedbybooks, PhilOPosia, piano3646, popa, rbrandt, rdurie, retrozombi, rutmang, saeccher, Schmerguls, seawerth, shearrob, SilentInAWay, snipemonkey, southernbooklady, spongo, Tigardite, timothyhorgan, Tommie1, tracee, uscer, vpolichar, wandering_star, WillyMammoth, Wova4, xthread, zenosbooks
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.