- BOOKS (861), DVD (771), Fiction (655), Novels (416), Short Stories (181), Children's Literature (126), Nonfiction (121), Non-Fiction (110), TV Series (81), Folklore (80), Collected Stories (68), Murder Mystery (63), Cookbooks (59), Recipes (59), England (54), Drama (54), Myth Theory (53), Action Adventure (49), British (49), Documentary (47), Romantic Drama (47), Folk Narrative (44), Romantic Comedy (44), Dramedy (42), New York City (41), Anthropology (40), Musicals (39), Bollywood (37), Horror (37), Southern Cooking (37), Southern Studies (36), Comedy (30), Fantasy (30), Religion (29), Serial Killer (28), Thriller (28), Historical Drama (28), Procedural (28), Folktales (28), Black Comedy (27), Myths (27), Crime Thriller (23), Poetry (23), Long Weekend (23), Classical (22), Paganism (22), Psychological Drama (21), Los Angeles (21), Comedy of Manners (21), Spy Thriller (20), Humor (20), Magic (20), Eccentric Detective (20), Science Fiction (19), Romantic Adventure (18), Southern Gothic (18), NYPD (18), Comedy Adventure (17), Romance (17), Cartoon (17), Trickster (17), Class System (16), Animation (16), Screwball Comedy (16), Martial Arts (16), Scotland (16), Wizards (15), Biographical Drama (15), Vampire Romance (14), Psychological Thriller (14), Myth (14), Indigenous (13), Action (13), Theater (13), Social Sciences (13), Ancient Greek (13), Mystery (13), London (12), Profilers (12), Urban Fantasy (12), Future Dystopia (12), Hero Figure (12), Police Drama (12), Miniseries (12), Hindi (12), British Literature (12), India (12), California (12), Epic (12), Tragedy (12), Shakespeare (11), Adventure (11), Africa (11), English Literature (11), Wuxia (11), Jewish (11), France (11), Memphis (11), Satire (11), Music (11), Judaism (11), Food History (11), Colonialism (10), Jane Austen (10), LAPD (10), Ensemble Comedy (10), Falsely Accused (10), Parody (10), Magical Worlds (10), Feminism (10), World War II (10), FBI (10), Federal Law Enforcement (9), Turkey (9), Italy (9), Western (9), Alternate Universes (9), Celtic (9), Teaching (9), Legend (9), Forensic Crime (9), Gangsters (9), Literary Classics (9), James Bond (9), American History (9), History (8), Scottish Food (8), Natural History (8), Children's (8), Animals (8), Life Affirmation (8), Heist (8), African Diaspora (8), Noir (8), Textbook (8), Journalism (8), British Cooking (8), Istanbul (8), Coming of Age (8), Paris (8), Black Studies (7), Pagan Practice (7), Social History (7), African American (7), Roman Empire (7), Tea Parties (7), Swedish (7), True Story (7), Antisemitism (7), Southern Culture (7), Japan (7), Index (7), Illustration (7), Women's Lives (7), High Fantasy (7), Southern Literature (7), Sweden (7), Teatime (7), Fantasy Adventure (7), Concert (7), Drug Dealers (7), Nazis (6), Dance (6), Mississippi (6), Totalitarian (6), 1960s (6), China (6), Romantic Fantasy (6), LGBTQ (6), Courtroom Drama (6), Children's Movies (6), Regency England (6), Arthurian (6), Scottish (6), Memphis Music (6), Major Crimes (6), Terrorism (6), DEA (6), Murder Mysteries (6), Calendar Customs (6), Romantic Suspense (6), Sociology (6), Christianity (6), Art (6), Nature Guides (6), Drug Addiction (6), Showbiz (6), Resistance (5), Folktale (5), War Action (5), Ethnicity (5), monstre sacré (5), Southern Music (5), Boats (5), Photographs (5), Revenge (5), Political Thriller (5), Samurai (5), War (5), R&B (5), Monkey King (5), Suspense Thriller (5), Christmas (5), Autobiography (5), Tolkien (5), Crime (5), Japanese (5), Death (5), Philosophy (5), Ireland (5), Racism (5), Urban Noir (5), Conspiracy (5), Disney (4), Zombies (4), Medical Mystery (4), Coffee Table Book (4), New Orleans (4), British Empire (4), Artists (4), Cinema (4), Insanity (4), Action Thriller (4), Journey to the West (4), Holocaust (4), British Food (4), Memoir (4), Ambient Landscape (4), Treasure (4), Ambient Sound (4), Addiction (4), Novel (4), Testing Book (4), 1930s (4), 1700s (4), History of Religion (4), 1800s (4), 1970s (4), War Adventure (4), Religious Studies (4), Crime Drama (4), Vampires (4), Nature (4), Ballet (4), Relaxation (4), Postcolonialism (4), Holidays (4), Politics (4), Regency (4), British History (4), Supernatural Thriller (4), Fairy Tales (4), Pets (4), Boat (4), French Cinema (4), American Literature (4), Drawings (3), Thieves (3), Horror Comedy (3), Medieval Literature (3), Books (3), Erotica (3), Cold War (3), 20th Century Literature (3), Anthology (3), Romantic Dramedy (3), Folklore Theory (3), 7 other members; Tags: DVD (3), 1900s (3), Teachers (3), French Literature (3), Teaching Folklore (3), Pirates (3), Time Travel (3), Trains (3), Illustrated (3), Critical Thinking (3), Crime Comedy (3), Spies (3), Culture Studies (3), Victorian London (3), Greek Myth (3), Social Commentary (3), Makeover (3), Biography (3), Fables (3), Ethnic Studies (3), Southern Belles (3), Israel (3), Australia (3), Suspense (3), Essays (3), Medical Drama (3), Noir Thriller (3), Hinduism (3), Native Americans (3), Danish Literature (3), Bibliography (3), Zombie Apocalypse (3), Chicago (3)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- S'ha unit
- Jun 15, 2009
- Real Name
- About My Library
- The product of organized study, random enthusiasms, impulse, and the hoarder's instinct. I have deleted my library, having made a mess of it, and am now in the process of re-entering it all.
Regions of interest: Britain and Ireland, the American South, Greece and Rome, West Africa and African Diaspora, Central Asia, what used to be called the Near East, and Japan.
Areas of interest: folklore (especially narrative and belief), anthropology, history (especially Greek and Roman, Byzantine and other Eastern Mediterranean, British and Irish, and American Southern, all with an emphasis on cultural history), genre fiction, and children's literature. These days I am in general allergic to graphic novels, romance novels, self-help books, and anything inspirational--but life thrives on exceptions.
Fiction: anything from the bogs of time to the present, but particularly Shakespeare, the British novel, Southern lit, and the genres of mystery, horror, ghost stories, a small amount of fantasy, and the comedy of manners as practiced by Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. I read much more genre than serious literature, although I do read serious literature. (And, yes, I do draw a distinction, although some of my post-modern friends refuse to.)
Quirks: utopia-building, the Silk Road, medical mysteries/oddities, the culture of death, the Harlem Renaissance, British and American life from the Edwardian era to Punk (and especially the Long Weekend between the world wars), classic movies and film criticism, Bollywood, the Black Death, popular music and its culture, poets whose work I grew up identifying with (but I don't otherwise read much poetry), Southern Gothic, armchair travel, pseudoscience (because of my late father), schizophrenia (because of my late mother), Japanese culture, erotica, genealogy, belief and skepticism, language (especially historical linguistics, slang and onomastics), "New Yorker" cartoons, Yoshitaka Amano, children's illustration (especially of the Golden Era, such as Edmund Dulac, Kay Nielsen, and Arthur Rackham), fashion, and curmudgeonly culture critics such as H. L. Mencken, the Algonquin set, Pauline Kael, and Florence King. Oh, and editions of Alice (illustrators, translations, paraphernalia) and anything about Memphis, Tennessee, or my dream city: Istanbul.
Religion: Since I have a lot of books on religion (especially Christianity, Vodou, and Neo-Paganism), I should perhaps add that I am not myself a Christian, a Vodouist, or a Neo-Pagan. I am, however, deeply interested in many aspects of religious belief and practice, including popular representations of traditional religions. You might sum me up as a skeptic with an imagination, who believes (with Claude Lévi-Strauss) that the mythopoeic impulse is as much a part of us as language is.
- About Me
- Folklorist and college instructor. I also eke out my income to pay the rent and buy books by teaching kids to write better.
- Autors preferits
- Charles Addams, Yoshitaka Amano, A. J. Arberry, Jane Austen, Philip Barry, Ambrose Bierce, Roy Blount, Jr., Giovanni Boccaccio, Jan Bondeson, Jorge Luis Borges, Charlotte Brontë, Jan Harold Brunvand, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Truman Capote, John le Carré, Lewis Carroll, Raymond Chandler, Geoffrey Chaucer, G. K. Chesterton, Donald J. Cosentino, Amanda Cross, Emily Dickinson, Arthur Conan Doyle, Will Durant, Umberto Eco, John Egerton, T. S. Eliot, William Faulkner, Ian Fleming, Shelby Foote, E. M. Forster, Neil Gaiman, Martin Gardner, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Robert Gordon, Stephen Jay Gould, Graham Greene, Peter Guralnick, Dashiell Hammett, Peter Laughlan Heath, Georgette Heyer, Patricia Highsmith, Zora Neale Hurston, Aldous Huxley, M. R. James, P. D. James, Diana Wynne Jones, Pauline Kael, Walter Arnold Kaufmann, Randall Kennedy, Florence King, Ira Levin, Claude Lévi-Strauss, Sinclair Lewis, H. P. Lovecraft, John D. MacDonald, Philip MacDonald, Don Marquis, John McPhee, H. L. Mencken, Vladimir Nabokov, Joseph Falaky Nagy, Ogden Nash, Dorothy Parker, Walker Percy, S. J. Perelman, Edgar Allan Poe, Philip Pullman, François Rabelais, John Shelton Reed, Rick Riordan, Berton Roueché, J. K. Rowling, Dorothy L. Sayers, William Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, David Shipman, Victoria Simmons, Dodie Smith, Stevie Smith, John Steinbeck, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mary Stewart, Rex Stout, Josephine Tey, David Thomson, James Thurber, J. R. R. Tolkien, Calvin Trillin, Patricia A. Turner, Mark Twain, Eudora Welty, Cornel West, Tennessee Williams, Edward O. Wilson, Gahan Wilson, N. D. Wilson, P. G. Wodehouse, C. Vann Woodward
- Interesting Library
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.