- Totes les col·leccions (646), Maps-Atlases (111), History (131), Biography-Memoir (42), Travel (82), United States (106), Illinois (35), Driftless Area (12), Gardening-Farming-Food Production (22), Cookbooks-Food-Nutrition (15), Fiction (39), Society-Culture (43), Humor (37), Arts & Crafts (24), Finance-Economy-Investment (63), Grammar-Language (12), Science (12), Self-Faith-Introspection (10), Nature-Ecology-Conservation (53), Architecture-Real Estate (44), house care-decorating (13), Alt Power-Etc (13), Recreation-Games-Collecting (5)
- history (164), maps (109), United States (104), travel (83), finance (60), z (54), houses (44), Illinois (44), nature (43), humor (43), architecture (42), fiction (38), biography (36), Britain (30), Chicago (29), world (25), society (25), culture (23), Europe (22), arts (18), PL (18), food (18), photographs (15), alt power (14), cooking (14), gardening (14), science (11), Galena (11), geology (10), language (10), politics (9), American Revolution (8), economics (8), memoir (8), driftless (8), Civil War (8), British Isles (7), New York (7), maintenance (7), birds (7), California (7), Asia (7), New Mexico (7), Canada (7), London (6), middle ages (6), WW II (6), ancient (5), North Carolina (5), Wisconsin (5), Africa (5), discrimination (5), e-book (5), New Zealand (4), faith (4), physics (4), WW I (4), farming (4), war (4), France (4), midwest (4), real estate (4), construction (3), Yiddish (3), Hawaii (3), cities (3), poverty (3), adirondacks (3), Italy (3), religion (3), games (3), grammar (3), law (3), Michigan (3), Americas (3), Palestine (2), water (2), rocks (2), essays (2), glass (2), hiking (2), cartography (2), philosophy (2), Colorado (2), Congo (2), jobs (2), Australia (2), biology (2), Massachusetts (2), medieval (2), Belgium (2), nutrition (2), planning (2), South Carolina (2), China (2), Pacific Ocean (2), Florida (2), Washington (1), colonialism (1), astronomy (1), race (1), Caribbean (1), crime (1), mathematics (1), information (1), decorating (1), commerce (1), writing (1), mental Illness (1), Dutch (1), event venues (1), audiobook (1), Signed George Ritzlin on plate (1), atlases-see maps (1), Middle East (1), Germany (1), community (1), Russia (1), court room drama (1), archaeology (1), Celts (1), Ireland (1), media (1), Southeast Asia (1), Byzantium (1), punctuation (1), demographics (1), short stories (1), Atlantic Ocean (1), housekeeping (1), Appalachians (1), Supreme Court (1), geography (1), conservation (1), graphics (1), Kansas (1), photography (1), natives (1), quilts (1), Central America (1), thinking (1), Spain (1), landscaping (1), Maryland (1), Iowa (1), recreation (1), environment (1), San Juan Islands (1), autograph (1), bonsai (1), murals (1), philately (1), railroads (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- Adirondacks and beyond, Ancient History, Archaeology, BBC Radio 3 Listeners, Biographies, Memoirs and Autobiographies, Book Sales, Brits, Cemeteries & Gravestones, Chicagoans, Classical Music, Crambo!, Gardening, Geoguessr Challenge Group, Geology, History at 30,000 feet: The Big Picture, History: On learning from and writing history, Humor, Mac Users at LibraryThing, Maps and Atlases, Medieval Europe, Medieval manuscripts, Midwest Writers/Readers, Non-Fiction Readers, NPR Listeners, Profiles Profiled or Reviewed, Readers Over Sixty, Reviews reviewed, Social science, Taggers!, Unitarian Universalist Readers, Used Books, Working Class
- S'ha unit
- Jan 20, 2010
- Real Name
- About My Library
- About 80/20 nonfiction to fiction. I like reading history, biography, finance, architecture, real estate, social issues... I'm addicted to maps and atlases which are helpful with regard to many reading interests, especially history, and frequently are wonderful art and history pieces themselves.
If I was quite wealthy, I'd collect historic maps and have a map room and a real library.
A 'real library,' that's like... Dark wood paneling, old-fashioned Victorian style sky light, high enough ceiling as to require a rolling ladder to reach the top books on the gonzo shelves, over stuffed chair with good reading light behind it, antique roll top desk. Lock on the door with the only key in my pocket. Could the library have its own private veranda (not a mere porch or patio, please) with an arbor adjacent to it?
Do I have to smoke a pipe? Do I need a spaniel? Is this a tad selfish?
--- My take on and interests in interesting libraries: --- *
advcongroup Finance (Singapore - many).
Africansky1 Maps, biz-econ history, architecture, glass.
antimuzak Classical music, history, maps (esp UK).
archidose Architecture (broadly).
AsYouKnow_Bob History esp UK, maps, sociology.
Aulsmith Maps, history.
AurelArkad History, maps-atlases, travel, architecture.
benwaugh Music recordings incl R & R, Classical, zydeco; ancient world.
bill Numismatics, archaeology.
burnit99 Humor (incl Pogo), politics, history (esp US).
cemanuel History (esp ancient, medieval).
CSMcMahon Chicago, humor.
dgrapes Chicago, history (esp military), architecture, maps-atlases.
dkathman Chicago, finance, history.
Dragonfly Maps, history, humor, music recordings.
Electric Ray Finance.
Excataloger Maps, travel, nature.
freudslip History, humor, finance.
geoffmangum Maps, history.
Golodhrond History (esp WW II, military).
hopebuilder Architecture, alt power.
jeannealogy School yearbooks, Chicago.
Jeffery Finance, history.
jeffreydbrown Maps (esp National Geographic).
jimroberts Finance, humor.
jmcilree Finance, history.
JNSelko History (esp WW II), humor (Pogo), science, philately, maps-atlases.
John_Vaugh History, maps (different take).
kristinalynn History (individual level), Chicago.
leese Finance, history. (Korean tags... 금융 = finance, 경제 = economic, 경영 = business, 역사 = history).
LeventhalMapCenter Many atlases,maps, cartography
Library of Mistakes Finance NB
lilithcat Chicago, architecture.
mariancontrarian History, social.
MarkHammer History, finance (no tags).
marmot Chicago, maps, architecture.
Marquand Glass, architecture.
Neighbors Arts, Photography.
Neuromancer Humor (Pogo).
Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago Nature.
pranogajec Architecture, Chicago.
rathad Architecture, stamps.
recollector Maps, collecting old maps.
Rivendell Architecture, maps (esp UK).
setnahkt Archaeology, geology (Galena), history, maps-atlases.
stellarexplorer History, atlases, maps.
Thrin History, classical music, humor.
wcarter History, atlases, classic autos.
WholeHouseLibrary History, humor, maps.
ZenNovice History, humor, maps.
* Don't be offended if you have a terrific group of XYZ books and they aren't listed here; the listing after your LT name is only what drew me to your library.
- About Me
- Picture: My first new car, a 1959 Saab 93b or, as a friend called it, "Small, Black and Ugly." I took no offense. My father took every opportunity to tell me, "I told you so," whenever I had mechanical problems. Whenever = Frequently. This pic is actually of a 1958; same car... Two stoke engine, mixed oil & gas in tank, 3 cylinders, free wheeling, 3 speed on column, front wheel drive, suicide doors, am radio, metal "shade" behind grill to help hold in heat in winter; this car had it all.
The rationale of my book ratings is similar to most others at LT, and:
* Non-books (e.g. maps) are rated for what they are and my reaction to them and books are also rated considering what they contain; a book rating restaurants in Chicago, for example, could well be rated highly simply because it does what you expect in a thorough, thoughtful way. You don't expect, nor should you, great literature.
In general, the idiosyncratic and off beat reviews here are of books that have few or no other reviews.
Feel free to leave a note below if you drop by... I'd offer you a cup of coffee or tea, but that seems impractical in this venue.
- Chicago, Illinois
- Preferits locals
Llibreries: 57th Street Books, Bargain Books - Naperville - Ogden Mall, City Newsstand, O'Gara & Wilson, Ltd., Powell's - Hyde Park, Seminary Co-op Bookstore
- Biblioteca interessant
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.