- Totes les col·leccions (11,414), La teva biblioteca (11,414), Recovered books (5)
- WW2 (3), SOE (3), Historical Fiction (2), Travel (2), Novella (1), Signed copy (1), Historical Fiction 17th Century plague setting (1), Vern (1), 9780345531780 (1), The Old 'Vengeful' by Anthony Price (1), WW1 fiction (series - 1917) (1), Autobiography / Selection of writings (1), WW1 Fiction (Series 1915) (1), SUPERIOR CRIME FICTION (1), Spy / Fiction (1), Jean (1), Superior crime fiction (1), Crime Fiction (superior) (1), WW1 Series - 1916 (1), WW1 Fiction (series 1914) (1), SOE WW2 (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- S'ha unit
- Apr 7, 2007
- About My Library
- Eclectic, reflects early middle and late interests.
'Even a bad book is a book and is therefore sacred' (Gunter Grass) and following Erasmus 'If I have money I will buy books, if I have any left over I may buy food.' Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read......
Arthur Ransome said many wise things (Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers, will not drown)and produced the greatest children's literature ever. He wrote 'Any book worth reading by children is also worth reading by adults, but children begin by being omnivorous, to them, the miracle of being able to read, makes any book miraculous. A couple of second rate books can blunt that new-found faculty of reading .... A real book becomes part of a reader's innermost life.' Genius!
'All that Mankind has done, thought, gained or has been, it is all lying in magic preservation, within the pages of books.' (Thos. Carlyle).
“What an astonishing thing a book is. [One] glance at it and you’re inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.” – Carl Sagan
But beware of Heinrich Heine's prophetic 1823 warning; 'Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.' (Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings).
- About Me
- 60 year old nonentity subscribing to Rupert Brooke's dictum that 'Life is so flat you can see your tombstone from the other end.' And Graham Greene:'Point me out the happy man and I will point you out either extreme egotism, evil or else an absolute ignorance.' As well as Baudelaire: ‘Ma jeunesse ne fût qu’un ténèbreux orage, traversé ça et là par de brillants soleils.’
To paraphrase Mark Twain, 'People who don’t read books have no advantage over those who can’t read them."
- Pàgina d'inici
- Also On
- Preferits locals
Llibreries: Any Amount of Books, Book and Comic Exchange, Books for Amnesty, Daunt Books - Marylebone, Foyles, Grant and Cutler Ltd., Heffers Bookshop, Judd Books, Oxfam Books & Music - Marylebone High Street, Oxfam Bookshop (Bloomsbury St, London), Persephone Books, Skoob Books, Trinity Hospice Notting Hill
- Biblioteca interessant
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.