- Totes les col·leccions (1,937), Audio Cassettes (19), The Great Courses (40), Languages (23), Kindle (12), Documentaries (2), La teva biblioteca (1,058), Llista de desitjos (388), On Order (304), Books for Isabella (111), Llegint actualment (8), Llegit, però no el tinc (67)
- Folio Society (288), Wishlist (170), Limited Edition (138), Letterpress (132), Signed (121), Bella (112), Limited Editions Club (101), The Aquinas Lectures (83), Penguin Little Black Classics (80), History (75), Slightly Foxed (38), The Great Courses (37), Slightly Foxed Quarterly (30), Encyclopaedia Britannica (30), Slightly Foxed Editions (29), Encyclopaedia (28), LEC Shakespeare (27), Penguin Monarchs (26), Audio (25), Languages (23), Word War II (23), Second World War (23), Ladybird Expert Series (22), Audio Cassette (22), Modern (21), DVD (21), Reference (20), Antarctica (20), T. E. Lawrence (19), Tolkien (18), Agatha Christie (18), Polar Exploration (18), Churchill (17), Literature (17), Arabia (17), Oxford University Press (16), Classical History (16), First Edition (16), Shakespeare (16), Penguin Great Ideas (15), BBC Radio Collection (15), Easton Press (15), Macmillan Collector’s Library (15), BBC Radio 4 (14), Travel (14), James Bond (13), Churchill Documents (13), Kindle (12), Little People Big Dreams (12), Religion (12), Letterpress Shakespeare (12), Facsimile (11), Aubrey–Maturin series (11), LEC Monthly Letter (11), British (11), Read in 2014 (11), Medieval History (11), Great Ideas Today (10), Leather (10), Folio Press Fine Editions (10), Castle Hill Press (10), German (10), French (10), Modern Literature (9), Classical Literature (9), HarperCollins Deluxe Edition (9), Letters (8), Taschen (8), Britannica Year Book (8), Read in 2015 (8), Very Short Introductions (8), Ancient Greece (8), Linguaphone (8), Weekendavisen (7), No Reply Press (7), Thornwillow Press (7), First World War (7), Folio Society Miniature Books (7), Ancient Greek (7), Read in 2017 (7), Bible (6), Read in 2016 (6), James Boswell (6), 1980s Linguaphone (6), Christianity (6), Teach Yourself (6), Biography (6), Read in 2020 (6), Ronald Welch (6), American (6), Carey Novels (6), Mortimer J. Adler (6), Franklin Library (6), Hodder & Stoughton Limited Editions (6), Joseph Conrad (6), Cambridge University Press (6), Kronecker Wallis (6), Science (6), Folio Adventure Series (5), Music (5), Troy (5), Read in 2019 (5), Hatchards (5), Stephen Hawking (5), Royal Geographical Society (5), Read in 2018 (5), Yale Boswell Editions (5), New Naturalist (5), Pelican (4), Magazines (4), Ancient Rome (4), Edward A. Wilson (Antarctic) (4), Outer Space (4), Homer (4), Signature Shakespeare (4), Harry Potter (4), Cambridge Library Collection (4), Stephen Leslie (4), King James Version (3), Mathematics (3), Dictionary (3), Nobel Prize in Literature (3), Memoirs (3), Edward A. Wilson (Illustrator) (3), British Museum (3), Software (3), Tintin (3), Penguin Celebrations (3), Greek Mythology (3), Read in 2021 (3), BBC (3), 1611 (3), Poetry (3), Vintage Penguin (3), China (3), KJV (3), Everyman's Library (3), Japanese (3), Folio Poets (3), Diary (2), Founding Fathers (2), Arab Revolt 1916-1918 (2), Hemingway Letters (2), BBC Radio Adaptation (2), Ann Muir (2), Calculator (2), Slightly Foxed Mentions (2), Bill Gates Notes (2), Imprint Society (2), Prospectus (2), Royal Institution (2), Kierkegaard (2), Tom Gauld (2), Modern History (2), Kickstarter (2), Russet (2), Samuel Johnson (2), Anthology (2), Documentary (2), Spanish (2), TLS (2), Algebra (2), America (2), Alexander Hamilton (2), War (2), Islam (2), Grammar (2), Europe (2), Ottoman Empire (2), Law (2), Roald Dahl (2), Public Library (2), United States (2), Peter Pauper Press (2), Robert Falcon Scott (2), Lynd Ward (2), Heritage Press (2), Egyptian (2), Roman (2), Latin (2), Hakluyt Society (2), Thatcher (2), Vinyl (2), Anthony Trollope (2), Audible (2), The Great Ideas Program (1), Folio Society Special Binding (1), Folio Collectables (1), JFK (1), Folio Fine Edition (1), Qur'an (1), The Bodleian Library (1), Samuel Pepys (1), Stephen Fry (1), Gladstone (1), British Library Crime Classics (1), 11th Edition (1), John Hersey (1), D-Day (1), Forlaget Vandkunsten (1), Cicero (1), Peter Pauper Press. Wishlist (1), Richard Dawkins (1), Normandy (1), British Empire (1), A4 Letter (1), Century Press (1), Philosophy (1), 1970s Linguaphone (1), Hobbit (1), 1950s Linguaphone (1), htly (1), Aquinas Lectures in Philosophy (1), Saint Thomas Acquinas (1), Ti-89 Titanium (1), Hatchards Special Edition (1), Folio Great Battles (1), Danish (1), BBC Library Crime Classics (1), Cold War (1), o (1), Lakeside Press (1), American Civil War (1), Astronomy (1), President (1), Science Fiction (1), Confucianism (1), Loeb Classical Library (1), Arctic (1), Man Booker Prize (1), Japan (1), Read in 2022 (1), The Guardian's 100 Best Novels Written in English (1), Lapham’s Quarterly (1), Lincoln (1), American Revolution (1775-1783) (1), Legal History (1), Capitalism (1), Roman Mythology (1), Judaism (1), Finance (1), Rare (1), Language (1), Time (1), Penguin (1), Fairy Tales (1), Westvaco (1), Bibliography (1), English Dictionary (1), Fortran (1), Buddhism (1), National Geographic (1), Library (1), Hiroshima (1), Discovery (1), Library of America (1), Microsoft (1), Archaeology (1), Lord of the Rings (1), Russian (1), at (1), Mozart (1), Economics (1), Persian (1), Farsi (1), Mount Everest (1), English (1), Oxford Classical Texts (1), Audio CD (1), Space Law (1), 1000 Books to Read Before You Die (1), King John (1), Magna Carta (1), Isaac Newton (1), Carl Sagan (1), Apollo Space Programme (1), MeadWestvaco (1), Signatures (1), Riccardi Press (1), Clarendon Press (1), DNB (1), Dictionary of National Biography (1), The 100 Greatest Books of All Time (1), Ernest Hemingway (1), Pompeii (1), England (1), Carchemish (1), HP-12C (1), Nonesuch Press (1), War Poetry (1), Classical Education (1), Christmas (1), 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (1), Encarta (1), CD-ROM (1), Golden Cockerel Press (1), Thomas Jefferson (1), Everyman's Library Pocket Poets (1), BBC's Big Read (1), Folio Presentation Volume (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- 10,000 Page Club, Ancient and Medieval Manuscripts, Ancient History, BBC Radio 4 Listeners, Book Arts, Book Care and Repair, Book Collectors, Bookcases: If You Build/Buy Them, They Will Fill, Books on Books, Challenge: Loeb Classical Library, Council of Elrond, Easton Press Collectors, Encyclopedia Britannica, Everyman's Library, Fine Press Forum, Folio Society Devotees, Franklin Library Collectors, Geeks who love the Classics, George Macy devotees, Inklings, Legacy Libraries, Library of America Subscribers, Lingua Latina, New York Review Books, Oxford English Dictionary - OED, Penguin Books, Rare, Old or Offbeat, Second World War History, Slightly Foxed - An appreciation, T.E. Lawrence, The Literary Lens, The Quiet Life, The Slipcase, Travel and Exploration literature, Very Short Introductions VSI
- S'ha unit
- Nov 25, 2009
- Real Name
- About My Library
- “Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.” -Socrates
Running List of Books I’ve Read by Year
I live and breath for the English language. My main interests lie on classical literature, history, non-fiction, polar exploration (Antarctica), T.E. Lawrence, and Churchill, but my true aim is achieving a classical education.
I'm a reader first, collector second, though I like to say that to myself. I like hardbacks instead of paperbacks, non-fiction instead of fiction, physical books rather than eBooks, but I do read on a Kindle contemporary books that are popular and which I rather not own.
I try to focus my main collection on:
- The Limited Editions Club (LEC);
- The Folio Society;
- The Franklin Library;
- Slightly Foxed Editions and Quarterly;
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, and related;
- The Great Books of the Western World, including anything by Mortimer Adler;
On Reference Libraries
I believe every gentleman should have a reference library.
"Along time ago, when I had ambitions to start a personal library, a bookish friend told me there were three sets of reference books I had to get hold of. They were the 11th edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, the Oxford English Dictionary, and the Dictionary of National Biography" - Jeremy Paxman, 2009. Guardian
- Oxford English Dictionary (20 Vols.) DONE
- Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th edition. DONE
- The Dictionary of National Biography (60 Vols.) SHOULD I?
Check out these links:
The Folio Society
Times Literary Supplement
Since 26 December 2012:
- About Me
I am an armchair traveller, avid book reader, world citizen—a lover of cheesecake.
I like to read books, so never leave home without one (or a Kindle, just in case). I collect books published by The Folio Society. I like the warmth of the sun on an early crisp cool morning, and thus fair badly in colder climates. My life aim is to live on an undisclosed tropical island - an offshore tax haven, while sipping a Virgin Cuba Libra, and listening to the Miami Vice (1980s TV series) theme soundtrack.
I'm 39 and from the first moment I can remember, I have been in pursuit of knowledge and the finer things in life. I am the kind of person that would have cherished to have had a classical education and a foundation in Latin and Greek. Although, I'm polylingual, English is the language that fills my heart with tremendous emotion. Words matter and poetry moves me. I'm book-smart but I've been blessed to have my sister help me guide those trouble waters of life. She is my best friend and the best sister anyone could wish for.
When I have more time (I keep saying that to myself), I will pick up Latin and Greek at night school; French (for the French girls in stilettos), Ikebana (for peace of mind), Fencing (for the occasional duel), and sailing (so that one day I will be remembered by the youth as: "that crazy old man at the dock was right").
I am using most of my time inspiring my fourteen year-old niece, Isabella, whom I've raised since she was an infant into an educated and civilised environment with tuition in various subjects such as languages, history, geography, and art (her second word after mommy was Gauguin; she saw a reproduction of the Mona Lisa at a shop window when she was two, and after daycare would go and watch it every day; learned to spell her name at three, and started learning the Latin names for bones in the body at four. At five, she learned about Greek Mythology, Astronomy and the Greek Alphabet. At six, I've taught her about Heliocentrism, Solar System, Nicolai Copernici, Galileo Galilei and have started on anatomy, mathematics and spelling. At seven, we're playing chess, though recently, to my dismay she has found out what a computer can also be used for: Minecraft! On the positive side, she's used the summer to teach herself English on Youtube. At nine, she started reading books by herself, learned Ulysses by Tennyson off by heart, and assembled a large Revell plastic model of the HMS Victory. At eleven, she entirely sits on her new-found luxury: the iPhone. Oh dieu! At thirteen, she’s learning Japanese, enjoys Manga, and the RAF Air Cadets. She loves drawing and painting and has picked up the collecting bug on Penguin Classics. At fourteen, she's studying the Old Western Culture program by Wes Callihan from Roman Roads Media starting with the Iliad and Odyssey by Homer and preparing for her GCSEs
I also try to expose her to culture (it's important to be an all-rounded person) such as: ballet, opera, classical music, literature, the occasional museum visit, and of course Shakespeare - she likes the story behind the Danish Prince Hamlet. She also enjoys the new television series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Her favourite artist is Van Gogh, and work Starry Night.
I hope that one day, all of this, will show the fruits of my labour, and that she grows up independent, self-confident, and a self-reliant woman, possessing a strong foundation, morals, and an unconquerable soul, to live by the same code of honour, integrity, and honesty that I've tried to attain. The world today seems to have forgotten this.
My niece’s LT username is princess1402
- Hertfordshire, England
- Pàgina d'inici
- Also On
- Ara mateix l'estic llegint
- Autors preferits
- Peter Ackroyd, James Boswell, Melvyn Bragg, Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Arthur C. Clarke, Roald Dahl, Richard Dawkins, Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, Edward Gibbon, Ernest Hemingway, T. E. Lawrence, Patrick O'Brian, Samuel Pepys, Simon Schama, William Shakespeare, Robert Louis Stevenson, J. R. R. Tolkien, H. G. Wells
- Favorite Lists
- 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime (That Are Older Than 200 Years), 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up, 40 Books to Read Before You’re 40, BBC Big Read, Classics you know you should have read but probably haven't, The Guardian's 1000 Novels Everyone Must Read, In and About the 1920s
- Preferits locals
Llibreries: Atheneum International Boghandel, Daunt Books - Marylebone, Foyles (old Charing Cross branch), Foyles at St Pancras International, Hatchards, Paludan Bog og Café, Politikens Boghal, The Folio Society, Waterstones London (Piccadilly)
Biblioteques: British Library, The London Library, The Royal Institution of Great Britain
Altres: The British Museum
- Africansky1, appaloosaman, astropi, BangkokYankee, BINDINGSTHATLAST, boldface, BorisG, brother_salvatore, bumblesby, Conte_Mosca, DCloyceSmith, Django6924, folio_books, groeng, islandbooks, overthemoon, Pellias, princess1402, Quicksilver66, scholasticus, SilentInAWay, spacmann, Stephan68, terebinth, Texaco, UK_History_Fan, wcarter, ZG53
- Biblioteca interessant
- Africansky1, AmanteLibros, AnnieMod, apenguinaweek, BangkokYankee, Betelgeuse, BiblioEva, boldface, bumblesby, Caroline_McElwee, celtic, CharlesDarwin, Conte_Mosca, divinenanny, dlphcoracl, DLSmithies, drasvola, ErnestHemingway, FolioOOP, GalileoGalilei, Geedge, JBD1, jordantaylor, jveezer, kdweber, Maretzo, marilynmonroelibrary, messpots, ocfinebooks, odderi, Osbaldistone, peju.peju, Quicksilver66, rdurie, RichardFrancisBurton, scholasticus, shikari, Sylak, TELawrence, terebinth, ThomasJefferson, timspalding