- La teva biblioteca (7,815)
- First Edition (184), Bound Monthly (158), Everyman's Library (100), Incomplete Set (89), Signed by Author (71), Congressional Record (57), Charles Sumner (35), Library of America (34), Art (31), Loeb Classical Library (28), Monthly (24), Chess (22), Advanced Readers Copy (19), German Text (17), Western Americana (14), French Text (14), Maps (12), Congressional Globe (12), American Statesmen Series (Standard Library Edition) (12), Western Frontier Library Series (10), American Statesmen Series (Riverside) (9), Milo Quaife Collection (8), German (7), Bound Weekly (6), Uncorrected Proof (6), Mathematics (5), Antiquarian Americana (5), First American Edition (4), English Men of Letters Series (4), 1700's (4), County History (3), Weekly (3), American Presidents Series (3), Advanced Mathematics (2), Maps and Atlases (2), Wisconsin (2), Limited Edition (2), Limited Press (2), French (2), Signed by Editorial Staff of Chicago Tribune (1), Disbound (1), Italian Text (1), Signed by Charles Sumner (1), Quarterly (1), Advanced Reader's Copy (1), Postcard Book (1), Environmental Studies (1), Modern Library (1), Architecture (1), Signed by James Russell Lowell (1), Folio Society (1), Zamorano 80 (1), FrenchText (1), Illinois Central Railroad (1)
- Núvol d'etiquetes, Núvol d'autors, Mirall d'etiquetes
- S'ha unit
- Nov 14, 2006
- Real Name
- About My Library
- According to my seven year old son, my library is "too big" and "I should get rid of it". Of course when I ask him how much to get rid of he tells me "all of it", but I anticipate that as he grows older he'll appreciate that he is the sole heir to a small fortune in books. Fortunately, this is balanced out by the fact that my friends encourage my addiction, and endorse it wholeheartedly. I have numerous first editions, rare books, a sizeable collection of newspapers and periodicals from the 18th and 19th centuries, as well as large sets. The 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary and the Oxford Mark Twain sets are among my biggest joys, plus my recent find of a complete set of the 1855 Pacific Railroad Expedition report in 13 Volumes, and the 3 Volume Commodore Perry Japanese Expedition. I also recently acquired a complete run of Harper's Monthly Magazine, bound in 6-volume books, starting from issue one in 1850 through 1922. I am also a fiend for the local used bookstores, and add books to my collection at a rate of almost two a day. I have read obsessively since being a lonely youth, but have since acquired all of the West Wing on DVD as a gift, and admittedly have not been reading as much since.
And a note: Duplicates are intentional. I am trying to present a true and accurate representation of my library, and through the years of mass and minor acquisitions, I have, on occasion, picked up duplicate copies. It is my intention to sell them, but I have not yet come to the point in my therapy sessions where I can sell any of my books yet.
A recent update, I just bought the inventory of a used and rare bookstore that went under, so I now have about 18,000 - 21,000 new titles in my collection. I hope to begin adding them to my catalogue over the next few months, so I am anxious to get a total count.
An even more recent update is that I have, over the course of the prior six months, moved everything I own into a warehouse space I was able to secure above a bowling alley, so, for the first time in my life, my entire collection is all unpacked and in the same room (I was happy to even have it all in the same city). I also have decided to open an appointment only shop, so feel free to contact me via email if you are in the Door County, Wisconsin area, and I would be happy to host any and all who are willing to climb the flight of stairs!
UPDATE: As of January 5th, 2011, I went ahead and did the impossible, I've opened up a bookstore! Located in a 110 year old building in a historic downtown shopping district in Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin, I have room on the floor for about 18,500 of my titles, with a sizable backstock in the backroom and basement. If you get to the area, drop in and mention you saw my profile here, and get 5% off your purchase! As a consequence of being a business, however, I have to report that the catalogue here is no longer reliable, as I constantly sell off books and add new books on a daily basis. Check out my store website or my Biblio listings to see what is currently being offered!
- About Me
- My personal interests vary depending on what I am reading from one moment to the next. Politics is my biggest thing, but also history, philosophy, all things Russian, theology, poetry, physics and mathematics, etc, etc. Foreign policy seems remarkably crucial right now (saying this not to imply that it isn't always, mind you), however, having a son makes the domestic affairs (education, health care and the like) and my concern for the future that much more important as well. Would like to travel and see the world with my son, but for now I live vicariously through my friend who is an independent journalist and who just came back from Uganda.
- Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
- Pàgina d'inici
- Also On
- Biblioteca interessant
Aquest lloc utilitza galetes per a oferir els nostres serveis, millorar el desenvolupament, per a anàlisis i (si no has iniciat la sessió) per a publicitat. Utilitzant LibraryThing acceptes que has llegit i entès els nostres Termes de servei i política de privacitat. L'ús que facis del lloc i dels seus serveis està subjecte a aquestes polítiques i termes.